WHAT IS THE REFRACTIVE SURGERY?
It’s a procedure aimed to correct eye defects. It is done with a laser.
WHAT DEFECTS CAN BE CORRECTED WITH THE REFRACTIVE SURGERY?
- myopia of up to 8 diopters
- hyperopia of up to 2.5 diopters
- astigmatism of up to 2.5 diopters
There are contradictions for the treatment if the patient:
- is under 21 and over 60 years old
- is pregnant or nursing
- is treated with steroids
- suffers from connective tissue diseases
- autoimmune diseases, immunodeficiency, allergies
- active infections
- has a peacemaker
- if the vision defect is increasing
- suffers from degenerative myopia
- non-operated cataract
- retina diseases
- dry eye syndrome (DES)
- vascular eye diseases
For four weeks prior to the appointment please do not wear your contact lenses.
The following test will be performed during the appointment:
- vision defect test before and after pupil dilatation
- retinal topography
- measuring of the pupil size and reactivity (pupillometry)
- measuring the thickness of the cornea (corneal pachymetry)
- evaluation of the quality and composition of the tears
- eyeballs USG
- assessment of the anterior and posterior segments of the eye
- measuring the intraocular pressure (ocular tonometry)
- assessment of the irideocorneal angle (ganioscopy)
- a visual field test (perimetry)
- optical coherence tomography (OCT)
All the tests are performed during one visit to our hospital. Their cost is included in the general cost of the qualifying appointment (400 zlotys). Note! The qualification takes about 2-3 hours.
After administering anesthetic drops a metal retractor is put on the eyelids. The laser arm is positioned directly above the operated eye. We ask the patient to focus his/her eyes on the light which is on the laser arm. The laser’s operating time is several dozen seconds during which the eye should be kept immobile. The procedure is completely painless.
Both eyes are being operated during one procedure.
AFER THE SURGERY
After half an hour the patient can be discharged. It is recommended for and adult to accompany the patient. For about 3 hours after the procedure the patient may feel burning and tearing in the operated eye, but he or she should not clench eyelids or rub the eye. After three days the patient reports for a check-up examination (included in the price of the procedure).
For 3 weeks after the procedure the patient should avoid smoke (including the cigarette smoke) and dust. The patient is not allowed to wet the eyes during bating or showering at home or swimming at the pool. The patient is not allowed to use the sauna or the solarium. It is recommended not to carry heavy loads (over 15 kg). The patient should avoid heavy sunshine or when that is not possible wear sunglasses with a UVA filter.
THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the risks of the laser procedure?
The risk of such procedure does not exceed 1%. Most frequent complications are the postoperative infections.
What are the most common side effects of the procedure?
Problems with night vision. Blurred vision of the light points. Weakened contrast view. Hypersensitivity to light. Halos around light sources. The complications occur rarely and most often disappear spontaneously after 6-12 months after the procedure.
Can the vision defect reoccur after the surgery?
In one percent of the patients the vision defect of about 1 diopter reoccurs. Such defect can be corrected after 1 year since the first procedure.
THE PRICE OF THE REFRACTIVE SURGERY
Qualification for surgery – 400 zł